Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are a great source of vegetarian protein and are a popular food around the world. falafel is a Middle Eastern food made from chickpeas that have been ground into a paste and formed into balls or patties.
Falafel is a popular appetizer or main course in many countries and can be enjoyed warm, at room temperature, or cold. In this blog post, we will discuss the different ingredients that go into making falafel, how to make falafels with canned chickpeas, and some serving suggestions. We hope you enjoy this recipe!
What Goes Into Making a Good Falafel
falafel is chickpea-based patties that are deep-fried and served on pita bread with tahini sauce, hummus, pickled vegetables, and fresh fruit.
Falafel can be made from many different ingredients – including ground chickpeas, fava beans, lentils, or even wholemeal flour – but the key to its succulence is a crispy outer shell and fluffy interior. Topping options include fresh parsley, tomato sauce, or harissa paste.
What are Canned Chickpeas
The chickpea, often known as the chick pea, is a subfamily of the Fabaceae family of annual legumes. Its diverse varieties go by many names, including gram, Bengal gram, garbanzo, garbanzo bean, and Egyptian pea. Protein levels in chickpea seeds are high.
Canned chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a dried and canned food that is popular around the world. They are made from chickpeas that have been soaked in water for several hours or overnight, then boiled until they are soft.
Once they’re drained and cooled, they’re placed in a canning process where ethylene gas is used to sterilize them—this kills any bacteria that may be present. Chickpeas can be eaten straight out of the can or mixed into many dishes – falafel being one of them!
Why do Falafel Patties Taste so Good
There are many factors that contribute to the deliciousness of falafel, but one key factor is the chickpea-based paste. Chickpeas are a great source of vegetarian protein and contain all nine essential amino acids, making them a perfect food for vegan or gluten-free diets.
They also have an interesting flavor profile that is enhanced by spices such as cumin and coriander, which give the patties their signature kick.
Lastly, falafel is deep-fried which gives it a crispy outer shell and fluffy, airy interior.
What Can I do to Make Falafel Even Better
There really is nothing you can’t do with falafel – it’s a great food for any occasion and tastes fantastic no matter how you prepare it. If you want to take your falafel-making skills up a notch, try using ground chickpeas instead of canned ones or adding herbs and spices such as cumin, coriander, or harissa paste for extra flavor.
Another great way to improve falafel is by baking them instead of frying them – this results in a softer texture and golden brown outer shell.
Recipes for Falafels With Canned Chickpeas
Falafel is a pita bread sandwich or balls-shaped food made from ground chickpeas. It is typically filled with tahini sauce and pickled vegetables, but can also be topped with vegan cheese, fresh parsley, or fava beans.
Can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed 1/2 cup tahini sauce 2 cloves garlic, minced salt & black pepper to taste dried oregano leaves to taste cilantro leaves for garnish vegan cheese slices to taste (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread chickpeas on a baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. You can also fry falafel patties from these roasted chickpeas!
- In a food processor or blender, blend tahini sauce, garlic, salt & pepper to taste, dried oregano leaves, cilantro leaves (if using), and vegan cheese slices if desired).falafel batter will be thick so you may want to add tablespoon of or two of water to thin out the mixture if needed.
- With a spoon, shape chickpea falafel patties about 1-inch in diameter and fry them until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes per side). Serve hot with tzatziki sauce, vegan cheese slices, and parsley on top!
Different Ways to Enjoy Falafels
Falafels are a food that is popular in many countries. Falafel can be made with chickpeas, ground beef, or any other type of ground meat. There are many different ways to enjoy falafels. Some people like them as is and others like to fry them up or make them into patties. Here are four different ways to enjoy falafel:
- Falafel patties: In this recipe, falafel patties are made by combining ground beef and chickpeas. The chickpeas help bind the mixture together so it is easier to fry.
- Falafel balls: Falafel balls are made by shaping chickpeas into small balls and then frying them until they are golden brown.
- Tzatziki falafels: In this recipe, falafel patties are combined with tzatziki sauce and served with chopped fresh parsley.
- Macaroni and cheese falafels: This recipe combines ground beef with pasta in a casserole dish, then coats the mixture in breadcrumbs before frying it. There are many different ways to enjoy falafel, and whichever recipe you choose, it is sure to be a hit with your family or friends.
Falafel Serving Suggestions
Falafel is a great option for those looking for a vegetarian meal that’s both healthy and delicious. Here are some serving suggestions to get you started!
- Serve falafel balls with tahini sauce, hummus, and diced cucumbers.
- Bake falafel patties on a lightly oiled baking sheet in preheated oven until golden brown and cooked through about 15 minutes.
- perfection falafels are made by deep frying chickpeas so they turn into crispy patties that can be served as is or topped with your favorite toppings such as hummus, tahini sauce, pickles, red onion slices, etc.
- Falafel patties can also be served in a wrap or pita bread with vegan tzatziki sauce and chopped fresh parsley.
- Instead of chickpeas, you can also use black beans, fava beans, or white beans for this falafel recipe.
- Falafel patties can also be served in a bowl with tzatziki sauce, vegan cheese slices, and chopped fresh parsley.
- Falafel patties can also be frozen and defrosted for later consumption.
- If falafel patties are too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water to the batter before frying.
- falafel patties can also be served as vegan appetizers by frying them in a skillet before serving.
Falafels are a popular food all over the world, and for good reason. They are versatile and delicious and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. In this blog post, we’ll share a recipe for falafels with canned chickpeas, as well as some serving suggestions. So, make sure to give this falafel recipe a try and enjoy chickpeas in a new and delicious way!